Surah Al-Baqarah | from the moshaf in arabic uthmani
|Listen mp3||Tafsir Arabic||tafsir mokhtasar|
English translation of the meaning Page No 21
Sura Al-Baqarah from 135 to 141
135. And they say, « Be Jews or Christians, then you will be guided. » Say ( to them O Muhammad ( saas ) ) , « Nay, ( we follow ) only the religion of Ibrâhîm ( Abraham ) , Hanîfa [ Islâmic Monotheism, i.e. to worship none but Allâh ( Alone ) ] , and he was not of Al- Mushrikûn ( those who worshipped others along with Allâh - see V.2:105 ) . » [ 1 ]
136. Say ( O Muslims ) , « We believe in Allâh and that which has been sent down to us and that which has been sent down to Ibrâhîm ( Abraham ) , Ismâ‘îl ( Ishmael ) , Ishâq ( Isaac ) , Ya‘qûb ( Jacob ) , and to Al- Asbât [ the offspring of the twelve sons of Ya‘qûb ( Jacob ) ] , and that which has been given to Mûsâ ( Moses ) and ‘Îsâ ( Jesus ) , and that which has been given to the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and to Him we have submitted ( in Islâm ) . »
137. So if they believe in the like of that which you believe, then they are rightly guided; but if they turn away, then they are only in opposition. So Allâh will suffice you against them. And He is the All- Hearer, the All- Knower.
138. [ Our Sibghah ( religion ) is ] the Sibghah ( Religion ) of Allâh ( Islâm ) and which Sibghah ( religion ) can be better than Allâh’s? And we are His worshippers. [ Tafsir Ibn Kathîr ]
139. Say ( O Muhammad ( saas ) to the Jews and Christians ) , « Dispute you with us about Allâh while He is our Lord and your Lord? And we are to be rewarded for our deeds and you for your deeds. [ 2 ] And we are sincere to Him [ in worship and obedience ( i.e. we worship Him Alone and none else, and we obey His Orders ) ] . »
140. Or say you that Ibrâhîm ( Abraham ) , Ismâ‘îl ( Ishmael ) , Ishâq ( Isaac ) , Ya‘qûb ( Jacob ) and Al- Asbât [ the offspring of the twelve sons of Ya‘qûb ( Jacob ) ] were Jews or Christians? Say, « Do you know better or does Allâh ( knows better ... that they all were Muslims ) ? And who is more unjust than he who conceals the testimony [ i.e. to believe in Prophet Muhammad ( saas ) when he comes, as is written in their Books. ( See Verse 7:157 ) ] he has from Allâh? And Allâh is not unaware of what you do. »
141. That was a nation who has passed away. They shall receive the reward of what they earned, and you of what you earn. And you will not be asked of what they used to do.
 (V.2:135) Narration about Zaid bin ‘Amr bin Nufail.
Narrated ‘Abdullâh bin ‘Umar ( raa ) : The Prophet ( saas ) met Zaid bin ‘Amr bin Nufail in the bottom of ( the valley of ) Baldah before the descent of any Divine revelation to the Prophet ( saas ) . A meal was presented to the Prophet ( saas ) but he refused to eat from it. ( Then it was presented to Zaid ) who said, « I do not eat anything which you slaughter on your Nusub * in the name of your idols, etc. I eat only those ( animals meat ) on which Allâh’s Name has been mentioned at the time of ( their ) slaughtering. » Zaid bin ‘Amr used to criticise the way Quraish used to slaughter their animals and used to say, « Allâh has created the sheep and He has sent the water for it from the sky, and He has grown the grass for it from the earth; yet you slaughter it in others than the Name of Allâh. » He used to say so, for he rejected that practice and considered it as something abominable.
Narrated Ibn ‘Umar ( raa ) : Zaid bin ‘Amr bin Nufail went to Shâm ( the region comprising Syria, Lebanon, Palestine and Jordan ) , enquiring about a true religion to follow. He met a Jewish religious scholar and asked him about their religion. He said, « I intend to embrace your religion, so tell me something about it » . The Jew said, « You will not embrace our religion unless you receive your share of Allâh’s Anger. Zaid said, I do not run except from Allâh’s Anger, and I will never bear a bit of it if I have the power to avoid it. Can you tell me of some other religion? He said, » I do not know any other religion except Hanîf ( Islâmic Monotheism ) . « Zaid enquired, » What is Hanîf? « He said, » Hanîf is the religion of ( the Prophet ) Ibrâhîm ( Abraham ) ( as ) , he was neither a Jew nor a Christian, and he used to worship none but Allâh ( Alone ) - Islâmic Monotheism. « Then Zaid went out and met a Christian religious scholar and told him the same ( as before ) . The Christian said, » You will not embrace our religion unless you get a share of Allâh’s Curse. « Zaid replied, » I do not run except from Allâh’s Curse, and I will never bear any of Allâh’s Curse and His Anger if I have the power to avoid them. Will you tell me of some other religion? « He replied, » I do not know any other religion except Hanîf ( Islâmic Monotheism ) . « Zaid enquired, » What is Hanîf ? « He replied » Hanîf is the religion of ( the Prophet ) Ibrâhîm ( Abraham ) ( as ) , he was neither a Jew nor a Christian, and he used to worship none but Allâh ( Alone ) - Islâmic Monotheism. « When Zaid heard their statement about ( the religion of ) Ibrâhîm ( Abraham ) , he left that place, and when he came out, he raised both his hands and said, » O Allâh! I make You my Witness that I am on the religion of Ibrâhîm ( Abraham ) « .»
Narrated Asmâ bint Abu Bakr ( raa ) : I saw Zaid bin ‘Amr bin Nufail standing with his back against the Ka‘bah and saying, « O people of Quraish! By Allâh, none amongst you is on the religion of Ibrâhîm ( Abraham ) except me. » She added: He ( Zaid ) used to preserve the lives of little girls: if somebody wanted to kill his daughter he would say to him, « Do not kill her for I will feed her on your behalf » . So he would take her, and when she grew up nicely, he would say to her father, ‘Now if you will ( wish ) , I will give her to you, and if you will ( wish ) , I will feed her on your behalf. « ( Sahih Al- Bukhâri, Vol.5, Hadîth No.169 ) .»
* Nusub: See the glossary.
a ) « Narrated Al- Mughirah bin Shu‘bah: The Prophet ( saas ) used to pray so much that his feet used to become edematous or swollen, and when he was asked as to why he prays so much, he would say: » Shall I not be a thankful slave ( to Allâh ) ? « ( Sahih Al- Bukhâri, Vol.8, Hadîth No.478 ) .»
b ) Narrated ‘Âishah ( raa ) : The Prophet ( saas ) said, « Do good deeds properly, sincerely and moderately, and receive good news because one’s good deeds will not make him enter Paradise. » They asked, « Even you, O Allâh’s Messenger? » He said, « Even I, unless and until Allâh protects or covers me with His pardon and His Mercy. » ( Sahih Al- Bukhâri, Vol.8, Hadîth No.474 ) .
c ) Narrated Abû Hurairah ( raa ) : Allâh’s Messenger ( saas ) said, « If I had gold equal to the mountain of Uhud, it would not please me that anything of it should remain with me after three nights ( i.e., I would spend all of it in Allâh’s Cause ) except what I would keep for repaying debts. » ( Sahih Al- Bukhâri, Vol.8, Hadîth No.452.
d ) Narrated ‘Abdullâh ( raa ) : The Prophet ( saas ) said, « Who among you considers the wealth of his heirs dearer to him than his own wealth? » They replied, « O Allâh’s Messenger! There is none among us but loves his own wealth more. » The Prophet ( saas ) said, « So his wealth is whatever he spends ( in Allâh’s Cause ) , during his life ( on good deeds ) while the wealth of his heirs is whatever he leaves after his death. » ( Sahih Al- Bukhâri, Vol.8, Hadîth No.449 )
e ) Narrated Abu Hurairah ( raa ) : The Prophet ( saas ) said, « While a dog was going round a well and was about to die of thirst, an Israeli prostitute saw it and took off her shoes and watered it. So Allâh forgave her because of that good deed. » ( Sahih Al- Bukhâri, Vol.8, Hadîth No.673 ) .