Surah An-Najm | from the moshaf in arabic uthmani
|Listen mp3||Tafsir Arabic||tafsir mokhtasar|
English translation of the meaning Page No 526
Sura Al Najm from 1 to 26
Sûrat An- Najm
( The Star ) LIII
In the Name of Allâh,
the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
1. By the star when it goes down ( or vanishes ) .
2. Your companion ( Muhammad ( saas ) ) has neither gone astray nor has erred.
3. Nor does he speak of ( his own ) desire.
4. It is only a Revelation revealed.
5. He has been taught ( this Qur’ân ) by one mighty in power [ Jibrîl ( Gabriel ) ]
6. One free from any defect in body and mind then he ( Jibrîl - Gabriel in his real shape as created by Allah ) rose and became stable.
7. While he [ Jibrîl ( Gabriel ) ] was in the highest part of the horizon, ( Tafsir Ibn Kathir )
8. Then he [ Jibrîl ( Gabriel ) ] approached and came closer,
9. And was at a distance of two bows’ length or ( even ) nearer.
10. So ( Allâh ) revealed to His slave [ Muhammad ( saas ) through Jibrîl ( Gabriel ) ( as ) ] whatever He revealed.
11. The ( Prophet’s ) heart lied not in what he ( Muhammad ( saas ) ) saw.
12. Will you then dispute with him ( Muhammad ( saas ) ) about what he saw [ during the Mi‘râj: ( Ascent of the Prophet ( saas ) to the seven heavens ) ] [ 1 ]
13. And indeed he ( Muhammad ( saas ) ) saw him [ Jibrîl ( Gabriel ) ] at a second descent ( i.e. another time ) .
14. Near Sidrat- ul- Muntaha ( a lote- tree of the utmost boundary over the seventh heaven beyond which none can pass ) .
15. Near it is the Paradise of Abode.
16. When that covered the lote- tree which did cover it! [ 2 ]
17. The sight ( of Prophet Muhammad ( saas ) ) turned not aside ( right or left ) , nor it transgressed beyond the limit ( ordained for it ) .
18. Indeed he ( Muhammad ( saas ) ) did see of the Greatest Signs, of his Lord ( Allâh ) .
19. Have you then considered Al- Lât, and Al- ‘Uzzâ ( two idols of the pagan Arabs ) [ 3 ]
20. And Manât ( another idol of the pagan Arabs ) , the other third?
21. Is it for you the males and for Him the females?
22. That indeed is a division most unfair!
23. They are but names which you have named - you and your fathers - for which Allâh has sent down no authority. They follow but a guess and that which they themselves desire, whereas there has surely come to them the Guidance from their Lord!
24. Or shall man have what he wishes?
25. But to Allâh belongs the last ( Hereafter ) and the first ( the world ) .
26. And there are many angels in the heavens, whose intercession will avail nothing except after Allâh has given leave for whom He wills and is pleased with.
 (V.53:12) Al-Mi‘râj (i.e. Ascent of Prophet Muhammad (saas) to the heavens with his body and soul .
Narrated Mâlik bin Sa‘sa‘ah ( raa ) : The Prophet ( saas ) said, « While I was at the house in a state midway between sleep and wakefulness, ( an angel recognized me ) as the man lying between two men. A golden tray full of wisdom and belief was brought to me and my body was cut open from the throat to the lower part of the abdomen and then my abdomen was washed with Zamzam water and ( my heart was ) filled with wisdom and belief. Al- Burâq, a white animal smaller than a mule and bigger than a donkey was brought to me and I set out with Jibrîl ( Gabriel ) . When I reached the nearest heaven, Jibrîl said to the gate- keeper of the heaven, ‘Open the gate.’ The gate- keeper asked, ‘Who is it?’ He said, ‘Jibrîl.’ The gate- keeper, said ‘Who is accompanying you?’ Jibrîl said, ‘Muhammad ( saas ) ’. The gate- keeper said, ‘Has he been called?’ Jibrîl said, ‘Yes’. Then it was said, ‘He is welcome. What a wonderful visit his is!’ Then I met Adam and greeted him and he said, ‘You are welcome O son and a Prophet.’ Then we ascended to the second heaven. It was asked, ‘Who is it?’ Jibrîl said, ‘Jibrîl.’ It was said, ‘Who is with you?’ He said, ‘Muhammad ( saas ) ’. It was asked, ‘Has he been sent for?’ He said, ‘Yes.’ It was said, ‘He is welcome. What a wonderful visit his is.’ Then I met ‘Îsâ ( Jesus ) and Yahyâ ( John ) who said, ‘You are welcome, O brother and a Prophet.’ Then we ascended to the third heaven. It was asked, ‘Who is it?’ Jibrîl said, ‘Jibrîl.’ It was asked, ‘Who is with you?’ Jibrîl said, ‘Muhammad ( saas ) ’. It was asked, ‘Has he been sent for?’ Jibrîl said, ‘Yes.’ It was said ‘He is welcome. What a wonderful visit his is!’ ( The Prophet ( saas ) added: ) . There I met Yûsuf ( Joseph ) and greeted him, and he replied, ‘You are welcome, O brother and a Prophet!’ Then we ascended to the fourth heaven and again the same questions and answers were exchanged as in the previous heavens. There I met Idrîs ( Enoch ) and greeted him. He said, ‘You are welcome O brother and Prophet.’ Then we ascended to the fifth heaven and again the same questions and answers were exchanged as in the previous heavens. There I met and greeted Hârûn ( Aaron ) who said, ‘You are welcome, O brother and a Prophet.’ Then we ascended to the sixth heaven and again the same questions and answers were exchanged as in the previous heavens. There I met and greeted Mûsâ ( Moses ) who said, ‘You are welcome, O brother and a Prophet.’ When I proceeded on, he started weeping and on being asked why he was weeping, he said, ‘O Lord! followers of this youth who was sent after me will enter Paradise in greater number than my followers.’ Then we ascended to the seventh heaven and again the same questions and answers were exchanged as in the previous heavens. There I met and greeted Abraham who said, ‘You are welcome, O son and a Prophet.’ Then I was shown Al- Bait Al- Ma‘mûr ( i.e. Allah’s House ) . I asked Jibrîl about it and he said, ‘This is Al- Bait Al- Ma‘mûr where 70,000 angels perform prayers daily; and when they leave they never return to it ( but always a fresh batch comes into it daily ) .’ Then I was shown Sidrat- ul Muntaha ( i.e. the lote- tree of the utmost boundary over the seventh heaven ) and I saw its Nabiq fruits which resembled the clay jugs of Hajar ( a town in Arabia ) , and its leaves were like the ears of elephants, and four rivers originated at its root: two of them were apparent and two were hidden. I asked Jibrîl about those rivers and he said, ‘The two hidden rivers are in Paradise and the apparent ones are the Nile and the Euphrates.’ Then fifty prayers were enjoined on me. I descended till I met Mûsâ who asked me, ‘What have you done?’ I said, ‘Fifty prayers have been enjoined on me.’ He said, ‘I know the people better than you, because I had the hardest experience to bring Banî Israel to obedience. Your followers cannot put up with such obligation. So, return to your Lord and request Him ( to reduce the number of prayers ) .’ I returned and requested Allah ( for reduction ) and He made it forty. I returned and [ met Mûsâ ] and had a similar discussion, and then returned again to Allah for reduction and He made it thirty, then twenty, then ten; and then I came to Mûsâ! who repeated the same advice. Ultimately Allah reduced it to five. When I came to Mûsâ again, he said, ‘What have you done?’ I said, ‘Allah has made it five only.’ He repeated the same advice but I said that I surrendered ( to Allah’s Final Order ) » Allah’s Messenger ( saas ) was addressed by Allah, « I have decreed My Obligation and have reduced the burden on My slaves, and I shall reward a single good deed as if it were ten good deeds. » ( Sahih Al- Bukhari, Vol. 4, Hadîth No.429 ) .
 (V.53:16) It is said that the Lot-Tree was covered with the light of Allah along with the angels and also with different kinds of colours. (Please see T. Ibn Kathîr).
 (V.53:19) See the footnote (A) of (V.2: 219).
Page No 526 Download and Listen mp3