Surah Al-Fajr | from the moshaf in arabic uthmani
|Listen mp3||Tafsir Arabic||tafsir mokhtasar|
English translation of the meaning Page No 593
Sura Al-Fajr from 1 to 23
Sûrat Al- Fajr
( The Break of Day or The Dawn ) LXXXIX
In the Name of Allâh,
the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
1. By the dawn;
2. By the ten nights ( i.e. the first ten days of the month of Dhul- Hijjah ) [ 1 ] ,
3. And by the even and the odd ( of all the creations of Allâh ) . [ 2 ]
4. And by the night when it departs.
5. There is indeed in them ( the above oaths ) sufficient proofs for men of understanding ( and that, they should avoid all kinds of sins and disbeliefs ) !
6. Saw you ( O Muhammad ( saas ) ) not how your Lord dealt with ‘Âd ( people )
7. Of Iram ( who were very tall ) like ( lofty ) pillars,
8. The like of which were not created in the land?
9. And ( with ) Thamûd ( people ) , who hewed out rocks in the valley ( to make dwellings ) ? [ 3 ]
10. And ( with ) Fir‘aun ( Pharaoh ) who had the stakes ( to torture men by binding them to the stakes ) ?
11. Who did transgress beyond bounds in the lands ( in the disobedience of Allâh ) .
12. And made therein much mischief.
13. So your Lord poured on them different kinds of severe torment.
14. Verily, your Lord is Ever Watchful ( over them ) .
15. As for man, when his Lord tries him by giving him honour and bounties, then he says ( in exultation ) : « My Lord has honoured me. »
16. But when He tries him by straitening his means of life, he says: « My Lord has humiliated me! »
17. Nay! But you treat not the orphans with kindness and generosity ( i.e. you neither treat them well, nor give them their exact right of inheritance ) !
18. And urge not one another on the feeding of Al- Miskîn ( the poor ) !
19. And you devour the inheritance all with greed.
20. And you love wealth with much love.
21. Nay! When the earth is ground to powder.
22. And your Lord comes with the angels in rows.
23. And Hell will be brought near that Day. On that Day will man remember, but how will that remembrance ( then ) avail him?
 (V.89:2) Narrated Ibn ‘Abbâs (raa): The Prophet (saas) said, "No good deeds done on other days are superior to those done on these (first ten days of Dhul-Hijjah)." Then some Companions of the Prophet (saas) said, "Not even Jihâd ?" He replied, "Not even Jihâd, except that of a man who does it by putting himself and his property in danger (for Allâh’s sake) and does not return with any of those things." (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol.2, Hadith No.86).
 (V.89:3) "Even" and "Odd" is interpreted differently by different religious scholars. Some say: Even is the Day of Slaughtering of the Sacrifices, i.e. 10th of Dhul-Hijjah, and Odd is the Day of ‘Arafah (Hajj ), i.e. 9th of Dhul-Hijjah. Others say: Even is all the creatures and Odd is Allâh. Some say it is the compulsory congregational prayer, i.e. Maghrib is Witr , and the other four prayers are Shaf‘
 (V.89:9) "And you hew out in the mountains, houses with great skill." [The Qur’ân, Verse 26:149].